24 Oct 2011

The 2-episode of introduction

It was really an intensive workshop with full of guideline and tips. The class specifically for making a traditional malay baju kurung for women.

The Whole 1st Day - the BAJU
There were 7 of us. Started with self introduction, informal way and immediately with the first topic – actual body measurement. Measurement also can be made on the ready-made clothes. Below is the list of essential steps (in general).

1) Actual Body (or Ready-made) Measurement
2) Pattern on Paper
3) Fold & Cut the Fabric
4) Sewing Basic

The Next Whole Day – the KAIN & the OTHERS
The essential parts
1) Fabric Measurement & Segregation
2) Fold & Cut the Fabric
3) Teknik Jahitan pada Zip
4) The Side-folded
5) The Belt

Others
1) The Shoulder Pad
2) Teknik Jahitan Pencangkuk (Stiches on hook for belt)
3) Teknik Jahitan Jelujur / Silang Pangkah and Jahitan Serembat
4) Teknik Jahitan Mata Lalat
5) Teknik Jahitan Rumah Butang and Pautan Butang

I never touch any sewing machine, and it’s quite difficult for me to control the machine speed. Gladly, the trainer truly has the passion to guide the know-nothing "student" like me. I surprised myself finished it (with a lot of help from the trainer, of course). I even more excited now to explore!

I even asked the trainer about the cost/wage if someone send the fabric and to make a baju kurung. It was estimated between RM25-RM35 depending of the type of fabric - which I personally say, it was under-rated. Maybe as a beginner, it took me a lot of energy. But, it is still a lot of work - measurement, cutting fabric, sewing & combine and finishing.

However, from the trainer experience, she can make up to 5 pieces per day! That's a lot! Say, RM30 X 5 = RM150 per day. For a month, that'll be approximately, RM150 X 20 days work = RM3,000! (for 100 pieces). Well, that's the max.

Logically, no one would like to do the same thing over and over again. I'm thinking to have add-on on the finished product, like, tiny stiches (e.g. teknik jahitan mata lalat) around the neck, put beads and sequins, embroidery or even re-styling the traditional original cutting. It'll be my new amazing hobby.

It's all about control the quality and the focus on the critical part (to be precise and exact); and I definitely need to practise... a lot!

As for now, I'm thinking about having my own sewing machine. Hmmm... shopping time! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment